Karachi to Khyber - an architectural unearthing


By Muhammad Sameer Mirjat

Pakistan is a heaven on earth. But it is not beautiful just in terms of natural beauty; it is beautiful because of the monuments, the buildings, the mosques, the palaces that have been built in it. Every single location has its own significance and that’s what makes all of them unique. Pakistani architecture is a treasure that we Pakistanis possess. Just look around you once and you will see the magnificent buildings, the unique carvings on them, their designs and patterns and tiny little details that were kept in mind while building them. The country is simply full of wonders!

SINDH

Empress Market, Karachi
The Empress Market is located on the Preedy Street, Saddar Bazar and is one of the seven oldest Bazaars of the city.The foundation stone for this Market was laid on November 10,1884 by the Governor of Bombay, sir James Furguson. On completion the inaugrtaion was done by the then Commissioner of Sindh Richard on March 21, 1889.This market was named to commemorate Queen Victoria's (Empress of India) silver jubilee. It was designed by James Strachan, the foundations were completed by the English firm of A.J. Attfield, and the building constructed by the local firm of 'Mahoomed Niwan and Dulloo Khejoo'. The cost of the construction of the structure was Rs. 120,000.The building was arranged around a courtyard, 130 ft by 100 ft, with four galleries each 46 ft wide. The galleries provided accommodation for 258 shops and 341 stalls for vegetables, meat and poultry.A 140 ft tower is on the front side of the main gate which had clocks on all four sides. These clocks used to tell time in melody.


Jahangir Kothari Parade, Karachi
Jehangir Kothari Parade is located in Clifton beach in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. The foundation stone was laid by the Governor of Bombay, Sir George Lloyd on 10 February, 1919 and formally opened by Lady Lloyd on 5 January, 1920.
The Kiosk at one end of the parade, with its elliptical roof structure, built in Jodhpur stone, has an octagonal seat in the center and was used as a Bandstand in yester-years. The pier is 1300 ft long, 15 ft (4.6 m) wide and ends in a 70 ft (21 m) by 50 ft (15 m) sea-side Pavilion constructed on piles. Gizri limestone and Jodhpur stone were used for its construction.

St Patrick’s Cathedral, Karachi
The first catholic church in Sindh, St. Patrick’s was established in 1845 at a cost of Rs. 6,000 raised through public subscription. A fine example of Gothic style, it was designed by Father Wagner, Brother Kluver and Brother Lao (Members of the Society of Jesus). Its lofty and spacious interior, with a capacity of 1500 worshippers, is lavishly decorated and is enhanced by carrying the vault of the nave in a single stretch from the portal through the transept to the peak of the apse 70 ft tall and 70 ft wide. An interesting feature of this Church is the use of stained glass windows. The Church with its board front, and two striking corner spires is further enhanced by a grand marble monument (erected 1931) to perpetuate the memory of the Jesuit Mission in Sind (1858-1935) and dedicated to Christ, The King, and is inscribed with the words. “Thou art Peter, and upon that rock, I will build my church”.

Merewether City Tower, Karachi
The design of the Merewether Memorial employs the form of an Eleanor Cross and is in the English Medieval style. There are spires which could have served as a basis for the design of this memorial; for example, St. Mary at Bloxham, St. Peter at Kettering, St. Peter at Raunds and Meven St. Mary at Oxford. Whereas the Empress Market's tower is a little squat, the Merewether Tower is elegant and tall, evoking memories of medieval England. It was named for Merewether, who served as 'Commissioner-in-Sindh' from 1868 to 1877. The Memorial Tower stands on a platform 44 feet square and rises to a height of 102 feet. It prominently displays the clock placed at the base of the spire, 70 feet from the ground. Each of the clock's four faces is seven feet in diameter.

KMC Building, Karachi
The Karachi Municipal Corporation (KMC) Building is one of the many historic buildings located at M. A. Jinnah road and has evolved an iconic status as one of the landmark structures of Karachi. The foundation stone for the KMC Building was laid in 1927; construction was completed in 1930, followed by the inauguration in 1932.

Habib Bank Tower, Karachi
Habib Bank Plaza is located in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. It is the head office of Habib Bank. It was Pakistan's tallest building from 1963 until 2003. The bank remained the tallest building for 4 decades until MCB Tower was completed in 2005. However, even after the MCB Tower, the Habib Bank Plaza is the second highest building in Karachi today. It has a CDGK (City District Govt. Karachi) clearance of 40 stories.


MCB Tower, Karachi
MCB Tower situated in Karachi is the headquarters of MCB Bank Limited formerly Muslim Commercial Bank. It is the tallest building in Pakistan. It is about 116 m tall and contains 29 floors and 3 basements. Its construction began in 2000 and was completed in 2005.



Finance and Trade Centre, Karachi
Finance & Trade Centre (FTC) of Karachi is located at the main multinational & nationwide business artery, Shahrah-e-Faisal (Faisal Highway). The modern and centrally located FTC auditorium offers a whole array of facilities for conferences, seminars and other functions.

Mohatta Palace, Karachi
Mohatta Palace is located in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. The Palace was built in the tradition of stone palaces in Rajasthan, using pink Jodhpur stone in combination with the local yellow stone from Gizri. The amalgam gave the palace a distinctive presence in an elegant neighborhood, characterized by Mughal architecture which was located not far from the sea. The palace has an area of 18,500 sq ft (1,720 m2) and its facade is trimmed with windows, stone brackets, spandrels, domes, balustrades with floral motifs and exquisite railings. There are nine domes, with a centre doom in the middle; while the windows in the front portion opening out into the garden are of blue color and those in the rear area are arched windows with stained glass. The palace is solely made up of teak wood with a polished staircase, long corridors and doors opening within doors. What many do not know about the Mohatta Palace is the secret underground tunnel that leads from the grounds of the palace all the way to a subterranean Hindu temple less than a kilometer away. The tunnel still exists today, though over time it has caved in, and the entrance is blocked from both ends.

Quaid-e-Azam’s Mausoleum, Karachi
Quaid-e-Azam’s Mausoleum is the final resting place and mausoleum of Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah, founder of Pakistan. It is located in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. it is a famous landmark of Karachi. The mausoleum is placed in a 53 hectare park and the size of building is 75x75m on ground and 43m high, built on a 4m high platform. In each wall is placed an entrance. 15 successive fountains lead to the platform from one side and from all sides terraced avenues lead to the gates. It was built between 1960 and 1970 by the Pakistani architect Yahya C. Merchant.


Frere Hall, Pakistan
Frere Hall is one of the few well-preserved buildings from the days of the British Raj that still exists in Karachi. It was built in honor of Sir Henry Bartle Edward Frere (1815-1884), who was known for promoting economic development in Karachi. The Hall is located between Abdullah Haroon Road (formerly Victoria Road) and Fatima Jinnah Road (formerly Bonus Road) in the middle of two lawns which extended till the roads. In the vicinity are the the Marriott Hotel, US Consulate and Consul General's house, the Japanese Consulate and the Sind Club.

Dabgir Mosque, Thatta
Dabgir Mosque in Thatta is thought to be the oldest monument of Thatta. This mosque is also known as the Mosque of Amir Khusro Khan Charkas, a descendent of Changez Khan who was made governor of Thatta in 1590, when the Mughals annexed Sindh. During Jalauddin Muhammad Akbar's reign, this mosque was situated in the heart of the city. Despite the ravages of time, vandals, and misguided restorers, its former grandeur is still visible in parts of its structure. The best surviving portion of the mosque, which is now quite dilapidated, is its sanctuary. Nothing is known about the form of the courtyard, surrounding walls, gateways, and minarets, if there were any. The sanctuary consists of three bays. The central one has lost its dome, while the two flanking bays are capped by low domes.The mosque has three compartments in the sanctuary. The central one is the largest. It forms a square of 24 feet and contains a mihrab (arch) with a window in each side. Arched passages connect this chamber with the smaller chambers on the sides. The construction of the mosque is peculiar. In the central bay, the square span is converted into an octagon with much smaller diagonal sides. This irregular octagon is visible externally as well. Above this is placed a regular octagon, also externally visible. Four of its sides are continuations of the lower octagon. On the eastern side there is an arched opening into the base of a low dome, which is now missing. In the side chambers, the oblong span is converted into a square, and then this square void is domed in the same manner as the central dome. The whole construction is of brick covered with lime plaster. On the two sides of the sanctuary, two flights of stairs ascend to the roof.

Shahjahan Mosque, Thatta

The Shah Jahan Mosque was built in the reign of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. It is located in Thatta, Sindh province, Pakistan. This mosque was built in 1647 during the reign of Mughal King Shah Jahan, also known as the builder King. The mosque is built with red bricks with blue colored glaze tiles probably imported from another Sindh's town of Hala. The mosque has overall 100 domes and it is world's largest mosque having such number of domes. It has been built keeping acoustics in mind. A person speaking inside one end of the dome can be heard at the other end.




Lansdowne Bridge, Sukkur
The Lansdowne Bridge over the Indus at Sukkur was one of the great engineering feats in the 19th century. The longest cantilever bridge ever built, it had to support the load of heavy steam locomotives. The bridge was inaugurated on March 25, 1889, the day this photograph was probably taken. The bridge permitted trains from Karachi towards the north to cross the Indus without using a ferry service.


Sukkur Barrage, Sukkur
The Sukkur barrage is a barrage across the Indus river near the city of Sukkur, Pakistan. It was built during the British Raj from 1923 to 1932 as the Lloyd Barrage to help alleviate famines caused by lack of rain. The barrage enables water to flow through what was originally a 6166 mile long network of canals, feeding the largest irrigation system in the world, with more than 5 million acres (20,000 km²) of irrigated land. The retaining wall has sixty-six spans, each 60 feet wide; each span has a gate which weighs 50 tons.

PUNJAB
Darbar Mahal, Bahawalpur

Bahawalpur State (1833-1955) has a unique architecture blended with Italian style. Darbar Mahal was constructed in 1907 by Nawab Muhammad Mubarik Khan. This mahal is now under military possession and one needs special permission to visit that place.

Noor Mahal, Bahawalpur

The Noor Mahal is a palace built in Bahawalpur, Pakistan. It was built in 1872 like an Italian chateau on neoclassical lines, at a time when modernism had set in. Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV had the palace made for his wife. However, she was there for one night, only as she happened to see the adjoining graveyard from her balcony, and refused to spend another night there and so it remained unused during his reign.




Derawar Fort, Cholistan
Derawar Fort is a large square fortress in Pakistan near Bahawalpur. The forty bastions of Delawar are visible for many miles in Cholistan Desert. The walls have a circumference of 1500 meters and stand up to thirty meters high. The first fort on the site was built by Rai Jajja Bhati, whose sister was married to Deoraj, a prince of Jaisalmer. It remained in the hands of the royal family of Jaisalmer until captured and completely rebuilt by the Nawabs of Bahawalpur in 1733. In 1747, the fort slipped from the hands of the Abbasis owing to Bahawal Khan's preoccupations at Shikarpur. Nawab Mubarak Khan took the stronghold back in 1804. The nearby marble mosque was modeled after that in the Red Fort of Delhi. There is also a royal necropolis of the Abbasi family, which still owns the stronghold. The area is rich in archaeological artifacts associated with Ganweriwala, a vast but as-yet-unexcavated city of the Indus Valley Civilization.


Hazrat Baha-u-din Zakria's Mausoleum, Multan
Multan is a city in the Punjab Province of Pakistan. It is located in the southern part of the province. It has a population of over 3.8 million (according to 1998 census), making it the sixth largest city of Pakistan. It is built just east of the Chenab River, more or less in the geographic center of the country and about 966 km from Karachi.
Multan is known as the ‘City of Sufi Saints (Pir) and Shrines’. The city is full of bazaars, mosques, shrines and superbly designed tombs. A network of rails, highways and air flights has well connected Multan to the rest of the world.

Hazrat Shah Rukn-e- Alam RA's Mausoleum, Multan

Badshahi Mosque, Lahore
Badshahi Mosque literally means Emperor’s Mosque. Its construction was started in May 1671 by the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. It is situated in Lahore and is the second largest mosque in Pakistan. It is the fifth largest mosque in the world. It is Lahore’s major landmark and a great tourist attraction. It attracts a net total of more than 5, 00,000 tourists from all over the world. Its courtyard covers an area of 278,784 sq ft. it can accommodate total of 110,000 people at a time.


Lahore Fort, Lahore
The Lahore Fort, locally referred to as Shahi Qila is citadel of the city of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. It is located in the northwestern corner of the Walled City of Lahore. The trapezoidal composition is spread over 20 hectares. Origins of the fort go as far back as antiquity, however, the existing base structure was built during the reign of Mughal emperor Akbar (1556-1605), and was regularly upgraded by subsequent rulers, having thirteen gates in all. Thus the fort manifests the rich traditions of Mughal architecture. Some of the famous sites inside the fort include: Sheesh Mahal, Alamgiri Gate, Naulakha pavilion, and Moti Masjid. In 1981, the fort was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with the Shalimar Gardens (Lahore).

Shalimar Garden, Lahore
The Shalimar Gardens sometimes written Shalamar Gardens, were built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in Lahore, modern day Pakistan. The Shalamar Gardens are laid out in the form of an oblong parallelogram, surrounded by a high brick wall, which is famous for its intricate fretwork. The gardens measure 658 meters north to south and 258 meters east to west. In 1981, Shalimar Gardens was included as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with the Lahore Fort, under the UNESCO Convention concerning the protection of the world's cultural and natural heritage sites in 1972.

Lahore Museum, Lahore
Lahore Museum is located in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. It was established in 1894 and is one of the major museums of South Asia. Lahore Museum is also known as Central Museum, and is located on The Mall. It is located opposite the old University Hall, a Mughal-style building on the Shahrah-e-Quaid-e-Azam. The Museum contains some fine specimens of Mughal and Sikh door-ways and wood-work and contains a large collection of paintings dating back to the Mughal, Sikh and British eras. The Museum has also a collection of musical instruments, ancient jewellery, textiles, pottery and armory. There are relics from the Graeco-Bactrian times as well as well as some Tibetan and Nepalese work. The museum has a number of objects of Greco-Buddhist sculptures, Mughal and Pahari paintings on display. The Fasting Buddha is one of the unique collections of the museum.

Tollinton Market, Lahore
In 1864 as a result of the Industrial revolution of the 1850’s, a movement started in the Punjab for developing local arts and industries. Subsequently, it was decided to organize the First Punjab Exhibition in Lahore. To display vast number of exhibits, a special building, now known as Tollinton Market, was erected in the vicinity of the famous Anarkali Bazaar. While Mr. Lockwood Kipling, C.I.E. was Curator of the Museum, the design of the building was prepared by Bhai Ram Singh. The building was completed in 1894, and all the collections were immediately transferred to it. Sir Robert Montgomerie opened the exhibition in January 1864. In May 1864 it was converted into a Central Museum. In 1893 the Old Central Museum was shifted to the new Building. In 1895 Sir Ganga Ram repaired the Halls for converting it into a Municipal Market. In 1920 the Market was repaired with alterations and named Tollinton. The Illustrated London News printed a couple of sketches showing the fa├žade and the interior of Tollinton market, so important was this exhibition center. The name Tollinton market was the name of a Lahore District Commissioner. It is not clear whether the name was Tollinton or Tollington. According to Dr. Ajaz Anwar who is currently the Secretary, Lahore Conservation Society: "the covered hall with many sky lights drew its design from the Oriental Bazaaars that still thrive in Aleppo, Damascus, Tehran and Istanbul. …….The pointed arches and spearheads are Islamic elements and the wooden arches and stained glass add to its beauty…This market became a prestigious shopping locale for the elite and because it was under the municipality of the days of yore, it was spanking clean. Today filth and decay have overwhelmed the place, because of the poultry being sold there. ….."
Railway Station, Lahore
The Lahore Railway Station in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan was built by the British colonists. It is representative of typical grand British architecture in South Asia during the British Raj. The railway network established by the British was very extensive and is one of their lasting contributions to the culture and infrastructure of this region. The railway station has 11 platforms (1 to 9, with 2 extra platforms, 3A and 6A). Platform No. 1 has a special importance, as this platform is the destination of "Samjhota Express", the train service between Pakistan and India.

Minara-e-Pakistan, Lahore
Minar-e-Pakistan is a tall minaret in Iqbal Park Lahore, built in commemoration of the Pakistan Resolution. The minaret reflects a blend of Mughal and modern architecture, and is constructed on the site where on March 23, 1940, seven years before the formation of Pakistan, the Muslim League passed the Pakistan Resolution (Qarardad-e-Pakistan), demanding the creation of Pakistan. The monument attracts visitors from all over Pakistan, as well as the inhabitants of the Walled City of Lahore. The large public space around the monument is commonly used for political and public meetings, whereas Iqbal Park area is popular among kite-flyers.

Wazir Khan Mosque, Lahore
The Wazir Khan Mosque in Lahore, Pakistan, is famous for its extensive faience tile work. It has been described as ' a mole on the cheek of Lahore'. It was built in seven years, starting around 1634-1635 A.D., during the reign of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan. It was built by Shaikh Ilm-ud-din Ansari, a native of Chiniot, who rose to be the court physician to Shah Jahan and later, the Governor of Lahore. He was commonly known as Wazir Khan. (The word wazir means 'minister' in Urdu language.) The mosque is located inside the Inner City and is easiest accessed from Delhi Gate.

Quaid-e-Azam Library, Lahore
The library building was constructed in the mid of 19th century during the British rule. It comprises two halls, the Lawrence Hall (65’x32’.5) and the Montgomery Hall (106’x46’). The Lawrence Hall was built in 1861-62 to commemorate Sir John Lawrence’s association with the Punjab. He was the first Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab, and subsequently Viceroy and Governor General of India. The Montgomery Hall was erected in 1866 from subscription of native Chiefs of the Punjab in honour of Sir Robert Montgomery. Both the halls are joined by a covered corridor. A commodious reading-room, leading into the corridor between the two halls, was lately constructed. The building was frequently used as an assembly room for public meetings and staging theatrical and musical performances. Mostly it was a meeting place for the foreign elite to while away their evenings in summer with iced drinks and in winter with a log-fire. Both Halls were under the charge of the Municipal Committee. The building was known as Old Gymkhana.


National Monument or Pakistan Monument, Islamabad
National Monument or Pakistan Monument is built on the West View Point of Shakar Parrian Hills. The monument can be viewed from all vantage points of the twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi. It is designed by an eminent architect Mr. Arif Masoud, and was completed in March 2007. The Monument has been designed to reflect the culture and civilization of the country and also depicts the story of Pakistan Movement and it is dedicated to the people of Pakistan who sacrificed their today for a better tomorrow. It gives a beautiful view of the city at night.

Faisal Mosque, Islamabad
The Shah Faisal Masjid in Islamabad, Pakistan, is one of the largest mosques in the world. It is a state National Mosque. It is a popular masjid in the Islamic world, and is renowned for both its immense size and its architecture. It holds the title for being one of the largest mosques in the world, in terms of area.It is located at the end of Shaharah-e-Islamabad, putting it at one end of the city and in front of a magnificent backdrop provided by the Margalla Hills. It is a focal point of Islamabad, and likely the most famous and recognized icon of the city. The masjid has an area of 5,000 square meters and can hold about 300,000 worshippers, including those in the adjacent grounds. It is one of the largest mosques in the world. Its relatively unusual design fuses contemporary lines with the more traditional look of an Arab Bedouin's tent, with its large triangular prayer hall and four minarets. However, unlike traditional masjid design, it lacks a dome, and like a tent, the weight of the main prayer hall in the center is supported by the four minarets. The minarets borrow their design from Turkish tradition and are thin pencil like. The interior of this prayer hall holds a very large chandelier and its walls are decorated with mosaics and calligraphy by the famous Pakistani artist Sadeqain. The mosaic pattern adorns the west wall, and has the 'kalima' written in early kufic script, repeated in mirror image pattern.The masjid's architecture is a departure from the long history of south Asian muslim architecture, however in some ways it makes a bridge between Arabic, Turkish and Pakistani Muslim architectural traditions.

KHYBER PAKHTUNKHWA
The Mohabbat Khan Mosque, Peshawar

The Mohabbat Khan Mosque is a 17th century Mosque in Peshawar city, North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan. It is named after the Mughal governor of Peshawar Nawab Mohabbat Khan who served under Emperors Shah Jehan and Aurangzeb and who was the grandson of Nawab Dadan Khan (who had been governor of Lahore). The Mosque was built in 1670s, and is orthodox in design. Its open courtyard has an ablution pond in the middle and a single row of rooms around the sides. The prayer hall occupies the west side flanked by two tall minarets. According to the turn-of-the-century Gazetteer for the NWFP, the minarets were frequently used in Sikh times ‘as a substitute for the gallows’. A fire that raged through the Andar Sheher Bazaar in 1895 failed to destroy the mosque because of the unremitting efforts of the faithful. The interior of the prayer hall is sheltered beneath three low fluted domes and is lavishly and colorfully painted with floral and geometric designs.


Islamia College, Peshawar
Islamia College is an educational institution located in the city of Peshawar of the North West Frontier Province (NWFP), Pakistan. It was opened on October 1st 1913 as a constituent college of University of Peshawar by Sir Sahibzada Abdul Qayum Khan and Sir George Roos-Keppel. Though its name suggests it to be some kind of a religious institution, it is not. In fact, inline with other government colleges, it primarily educates its students in arts, humanities and sciences.


Bala-Hisar Fort, Peshawar


Bala Hisar is a heavily-guarded fort that is located now centrally (in Old Peshawar it would have been in the north-western corner). It was built in the 16th century and has seen a long history through Mughal Emperors, the Sikhs and the British and has been destroyed and rebuilt again at least once. It is used today by Frontier Corps, or "fauji" as the locals call them. All you need to do is look at Bala Hisar from afar to appreciate its beauty. Visually you can tell it has been around for centuries, and provides a majestic view over Peshawar and surrounding valley. Beyond the gates is a steep road that winds up to the top. It is lush and green in there, with several buildings and what seem like rooms for the FC members to live in. There are multiple cannon look-out points that have an excellent view of the Fly-Over, Lady Reading Hospital and the city itself. It is pristinely quiet on Bala Hisar, it makes you forget that 92 feet below is the constant hum of auto-rickshaws, horns, and pedestrians crossing the streets unwarily. The basement is the old "doctors room" where it is said the doctor would remove the recently hanged criminal and pronounce them dead and issue a certificate. This room is eerily cold and many guards say they hear sounds now and again. In the center of the grassy area, stands a moderate sized exquisite mosque. It has a massive slab of marble situated outside and used for prayer when the mosque fills capacity inside. It was beautiful to watch a man pray so peacefully knowing that not far below us, was a bustling city on the old Silk Road.

Khyber Pass, Peshawar
The Khyber Pass, (altitude: 1,070 m or 3,510 ft) is a mountain pass that links Pakistan and Afghanistan. Throughout history it has been an important trade route between Central Asia and South Asia and a strategic military location. The summit of the Khyber Pass is 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) inside Pakistan at Landi Kotal and it cuts through the northeastern part of the Safed Koh mountains which themselves are a far southeastern extension of the Hindu Kush range.

Shangrila Resort, Skardu
Shangrila Resort Skardu, also known as "Heaven on Earth", is nestled amongst some of the world's highest peaks. It encircles the heart shaped "Kachura Lake" and is surrounded by fruit laden orchards and flower filled gardens. A vacation spent at Shangrila Resort is a once in a lifetime experience that one would want to relive again and again. Located at a height of 2500 meters, this area is more commonly known as "The Roof.”



Shahi Masjid, Chitral
Shahi Masjid was built by ul-Mulks near the end of the 19th century. Its pinkish walls and white onion dome make it one of the north Pakistan's most distinctive mosques, particularly as its minarets frame Trich Mir.







BALOCHISTAN
QAUID-E-AZAM’S Residency, Ziarat

Quaid-e-Azam Residency is located in Ziarat, Balochistan, Pakistan. it is the Residency where Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah spent the last days of his life. It is the most famous landmark of City. The residency was constructed in 1892. The whole building is actually a wooden structure beautifully designed and has great architectural importance. It was originally meant to be a sanatorium, and it was converted into the summer residence of the Agent of the Governor General. It has now been declared a national monument.

KASHMIR
Jalali House, Kashmir

Early 19th century Jalali was built with “Maharaja” bricks. Maharaja bricks, common in 18th to early 20 th centuries, were shaped without the use of a mold and thus are of varying length and about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in thickness.





In a nut shell, Pakistan has a lot of beautiful locations that represent exceptional architecture and talent it is high time we stop under estimating Pakistan as a backward country, recognize its precious assets and appreciate them from the core of our hearts!


6 Response to "Karachi to Khyber - an architectural unearthing"

  1. Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    The remains of Gothic Architecture in Pakistan witnesed the glorious British Raj. The term Gothic was originally used by the Italians during the sixteenth century, in order to differentiate the style from styles of the Pre-Renaissance, however the style thrived within twelfth century France up to the sixteenth century in Europe (Adams). Originally, it was used by Renaissance writers as a derogatory term for all art and architecture of the Middle Ages, which was regarded as comparable to the works of barbarian Goths (Hinkle). The term itself can literally refer to the Germanic invaders of Greece, Italy, and Rome. These invaders supposedly destroyed the remnants of the classical style (Adams). Gothic architecture remains a prominent part of society today, through the use of monumental Cathedrals

    For Executives and Foriegners i am available as guide to historical places of Thatta and Makli



    M. Adeel Qureshi,
    Lecturer of Art & Architecture
    PhD Research Scholar (Heritage Architecture)
    University of Karachi
    send2adeel@gmail.com
    0323-2988014
  2. STONENDS (Raw & Ready) December 27, 2011 at 12:25 AM
    Great contribution for the promotion of our Architectural heritage..

    Great Work....!

    May Allah give you the Taufiq to project further our heritage...especially the great piece of work done in the down town of Karachi...

    My best wishes...

    Sajjad Sher Afghan
    Heritage Lover

    Managing Director
    STONENDS (Raw & Ready)
  3. Anonymous April 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    awesome........
  4. James Brown July 15, 2016 at 4:08 PM
    Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.

    architects in rawalpindi
  5. James Brown July 16, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    This type of message always inspiring and I prefer to read content, so happy to find good place to many here in the post, the writing is just great, thanks for the post.

    architects in rawalpindi

Post a Comment